Responsive dental care for your urgent needs
Surprises are usually a good thing...but not when it comes to your teeth. When something doesn't go as planned, whether you're a local or a visitor to the area, you might find yourself in immediate need of a Williamsburg dentist.
Dental emergencies can occur at any time, often when it is inconvenient and unexpected. Dr. Hall offers emergency dental services in Williamsburg, VA for patients experiencing trauma or sudden tooth pain. Prompt attention and treatment as needed can help to prevent permanent or extensive damage to the teeth and gums.
Handling common dental emergenciesWe always recommend that you contact our office as soon as possible in the event of a dental emergency for advice and a possible same day appointment. Here are some quick tips for managing immediate effects at home.
- Tooth pain: for sudden or throbbing tooth pain, place a cold compress on the outside of the cheek to minimize possible swelling and discomfort. An over the counter pain medication may be taken, but it is advisable to call our office for further instruction especially if trauma has occurred.
- Broken crown: if a dental crown has become loose or fallen out, contact us as soon as possible to schedule a visit. Proper reseating of the crown is important to avoid decay or further damage. We do not recommend securing the crown for a length of time with over the counter adhesives.
- Broken or chipped tooth: if a large portion of the tooth has broken off, try to locate and place in a container of milk for bringing to the office. A cold compress can be placed on the outside of the cheek if there is pain.
- Knocked out tooth: if there is jaw involvement or extensive trauma go to the nearest emergency room for comprehensive treatment. If the tooth is able to be located, place it in a container of warm milk and bring it with you to our office. In some cases, the tooth can be placed back into the socket.
Yes, in some cases we do accept new patients and can offer a same day appointment if needed. If you are a student or visiting locally and have a sudden dental problem please call our office.
Preventing a dental emergency
Although a dental emergency or accident can happen to anyone at any age, there are ways to help prevent complex dental problems and to reduce the risk of a dental emergency in your daily life.
- Routine dental care: regular visit with Dr. Hall enable us to spot developing dental problems in the early stages and to offer prompt treatment. Keeping the teeth and gums healthy, clean and stable through dental care is an important part of an overall healthy lifestyle and can prevent complex problems.
- Custom sports mouthguard: if you or your child are active or participating in contact sports, we highly recommend the use of a custom-fitted sports mouthguard. Made for you using dental impressions taken in our office, this appliance will fit securely around your teeth and can prevent trauma in the event of a collision on-field or accidental trauma to the face or jaw area.